Monday, June 19, 2006

A ver, Provechito Hannah! or My Spanish Vocabulary

When Hannah was born and my maternal instincts led me to speak Spanish to her, I found myself using words that I had not used in YEARS! My husband did not, and still doesn't, quite understand my vocabulary. The first time that I used the word "provechito," Vamos Hannah, a ver mama, haceme un provechito... Alan looked at me and said "what the hell are you saying?"

Another expression that I commonly use is "Esta haciendo puchero..." When she is making faces and she is about to cry....

Also interesting is the fact that I have incorporated some vocabulary that comes from Central and North American Spanish. For example, when I talk to Hannah I call her "mi reina." This expression is not used in ARgentina. In contrast, it's very common in Mexico where women talk to each other saying "A ver mi reina..." Also, rather than talking about el biberon, I say mamila, o bottle (English)....

Interesting what is happening to me AND to Hannah! More tomorrow....

No comments: