Monday, May 24, 2010

It's all about vocabulary.....

Hannah's vocab in Spanish is growing and growing. And as it grows, I see some developmental features that are interesting. Here are some of the things Hannah has been saying:

Lo ponĂ­ (instead of "lo puse). Overgeneralization. Asi se me hacio. Instead of asi lo hice.
Play with mi. Here I am not sure if she is saying "conmigo" or "with me."
Hannah also says "jabon" for "jamon" She clearly does not hear the "m" sound, because I repeat the word several times and I try to have her repeat it right.... I know.... This won't work, but I still try...

There is one grammatical error that Hannah makes because she hears Marta use the form: She puts an s in the second person of the verb she produces. For example, she says "pusistes," "corristes," etc. This error kills me! I have been overly aware of it since childhood since my mother associated it with lower education, and she was concerned that we did not make it (althoug I should say that there are highly educated people who still produce the form). So I usually correct Hannah very overtly, but of course she does not pay attention to it since she is focused on the message.... More coming

No comments: